Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Pinsday: Spray Painting Fun

Let's Get Crafty!

I have been wanting to paint this shelf for a while now. I saw something similar on Pinterest and realized I could do the same thing to this shelf that I've had forever. It was basically just holding knick knacks in our extra bedroom. 

I decided I wanted to display my nail polish. I've been kind of obsessed with painting my nails lately and was tired of having my polishes in a box. I hated digging around to find the color I wanted. If I put them on this shelf, then I could see them all and maybe I wouldn't be choosing the same colors all the time.

I just didn't have a place to spray paint the shelf. My tiny apartment patio was not accommodating. On Sunday morning, I went over to my friend Angelica's house and used her backyard to do my project. Well, I was already there since I spent the night, but you know what I mean.

First, I went to Michael's to pick up some primer, color and a glossy overcoat. For the color, I decided to with "Pistacio."

I started with the primer. Had to get this dark brown to a white. That took a while. I had already started painting it when I realized I should have taken a "before" picture. Luckily, I didn't get too far!


I didn't paint it completely white. I was anxious to get it done (since it was getting hot and Angelica and I were going to go to Starbucks when I finished), so I didn't get it completely white. 


Finally, the fun part came! Coloring! I feel like the bright color makes the detailed wood carvings stand out that much more. 


I decided to add some scrapbook paper as a shelf background. I just went through my scrapbook paper collection and was lucky enough to find some nice pieces I liked that would match.


When I was finished, I nailed it to the wall in our bedroom bathroom. You know... next to my Michael Buble  calendar that I got as a gift. This bathroom has kind of turned into mine because I use it all the time and it has all of my stuff in it now. (I love you, Sam!)


Here's a better look at the scrapbook paper backgrounds. 




VOILA! Fin. 

I was actually really proud of myself. This is my first time I've ever done anything like this and it turned out really good. It's not perfect, but it's close enough for me. Now I'm excited to have all my nail polish in one, neat place in some sort of color order. I'm a little OCD. And you can see that my favorite colors are of the green/blue/teal variety since it takes up the entire top shelf. I didn't even realize I had this many nail polishes. 

I'm going to need a bigger shelf!

No comments:

Post a Comment