Thursday, September 6, 2012

Mini Movie Review: The Words

I missed my blog post yesterday because I got two last minute advance screening tickets to see "The Words."

It sounded interesting enough and we didn't have anything else going on, so Sam and I made our way over to  Clovis to see this film that is in theaters tomorrow.


I think this movie is one of those where when you watch it, the less you know the better so I won't go too much in depth of what it is about. The basic premises is Bradley Cooper's character (who aspires to be an author) finds an unpublished book in a briefcase while in Paris. After many unsuccessful attempts at writing, he decides to plagiarize this wonderful novel he found.

Regardless of its low rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and I'm sure a bad review from AV Club (the two websites I go to for movie reviews), I actually enjoyed the movie. And as someone who has a writing background, I found it incredibly sad to see this man throw himself under the bus just for some satisfaction he needed. Everyone wants to be successful in what they love, but most of the time it never works out the first try.

There are a lot of different stories going on throughout the movie. I thought it was done really well though. I always love when there are so many different stories going on, but you know they're connected. Some parts were confusing and got you thinking, but I think they meant for that. The ending was left pretty wide open, which I normally hate, but I think it worked well for this movie.

There was one line from the movie that really stuck out to me: "There's a fine line between life and fiction, but the two never touch." This then brought into question whether what you were watching was life or just pure fiction.

And of course leaves you thinking, "what would I do in his situation? Is it really worth it?"

Now, I don't know that I liked it enough to recommend that someone go see it in the theater and pay full price admission. I'm a cheap-o anyway. Maybe wait until it's at the $3 theater or on DVD.

3 comments:

  1. The cast does their whole best to make everything work and in ways, they succeed, but I think the script and premise was just a bit too tricky for its own good. Nice review Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dan!
      I will have to agree with you in that it was, at times, a little too tricky. It was a little hard to keep up.

      Delete
  2. Ive been wanting to go see that movie!

    ReplyDelete