Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Six Songs of Me

It's Tunesday!
Every Tuesday, I want to showcase a band I think you need to hear.

I'm going to kick off this theme with a website a friend of mine sent me: http://sixsongsof.me/

Whether it was The Beach Boys or Nsync, I've always been into music.
Deciding on six songs is really hard. There are so many good tunes out there and to limit it down to six songs is quite the task.

But,
as Barney Stinson would say,
Challenge Accepted.

1. What was the first song you ever bought?

The Beach Boys - "Wouldn't It Be Nice"



Well, my favorite band as a kid was The Beach Boys. Obviously I can't pinpoint the first song I bought by them since I had their music on a cassette and not iTunes, but I picked this song because it's just simply one of my favorites. Plus, isn't that music video amazing? Gotta love YouTube!



2. What song always gets you dancing?

The Supremes - "You Can't Hurry Love"



I couldn't decide on a song for this one since I basically dance to every song. Then Sam and I were out to dinner for our anniversary and the Phil Collins version of this song came on. I started dancing in my seat. There's even a part in the song where it's just the music... I call that the "dance break," because obviously that's everyone goes crazy dancing and what not since there's not any lyrics to sing along with. YouTube came through once again with an amazing video.



3. What Song Takes You Back to Your Childhood?

Watashi Wa - "Joanna"


Teenagerhood is childhood, right? I saw this band too many times to count. And I loved every moment of it. I still have the sticker Seth signed in my Bible from when my friend Leah and I saw him for the first time in Bakersfield. This was probably my first favorite song from them so that's why I chose it. So many trips to Bakersfield, Fresno, Spirit West Coast, etc. to see them. A highlight was seeing Seth doing an acoustic set in front of the Tooth & Nail booth at Spirit West Coast. These guys really got me loving music.



4. What is Your Perfect Love Song?


Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros - "Home"


This was the hardest one to decide! So many wonderful love songs out there and I can only choose one? Yikes. An obvious choice would have been any Michael Buble song, but decided not to go that way. I could have also chosen "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon & Garfunkel since it was our Wedding dance song. I also love "The Luckiest" by Ben Folds, but alas, I decided to go a different direction. While I love all those songs, I picked "Home" because it's fun and different. Isn't that what love is supposed to be? Fun? I think so. I love everything about this song: the music, the lyrics, the guy, the girl, it's dance-worthy tune... but most of all I love the silly love story in the middle. It's brings a huge smile to my face accompanied by some happy goosebumps. Listen and Love.



5. What song would you want at your funeral?

Frank Sinatra - "My Way"


I can honestly say that I've never even thought of this before. I actually had to Google "funeral songs." I guess I could have said "Amazing Grace (My Chains are Gone)," but that's a given. I also came across a beautiful song from Phil Wickham called "Heaven Song." I decided to go with the classic from Sinatra though. I think this is just a great, honest song. Plus, I just love me some Crooners.



6. Time for the Encore. One last song that makes you, you.

Carole King - "Where You Lead"


I had no idea what to choose. This last one was far too broad. I can't believe I skipped over some of my favorites: Michael Buble, The Shins, Jimmy Eat World... the list goes on and on. I apparently decided to keep with the theme of "I was born in the wrong decade because of the music I enjoy." Ok, that wasn't really my theme, it just turned out that way. Story of my life. First of all, I love everything about Carole King. I'm extremely picky when it comes to female singers, but I just love her music, voice and talent. But most of all, I love that she played a huge role on my favorite show, Gilmore Girls. The song I chose was the theme song for Gilmore Girls. King even played Sophie Bloom who was the music shop owner in Stars Hollow. Whenever I'm not feeling right, I always listen to Carole King or turn on some Gilmore Girls and everything gets better.


Well, that was fun to put together! Hope you enjoyed listening to my choices.
What six songs would you choose?
Happy deciding!

No comments:

Post a Comment