Friday, July 27, 2012

Eat Chicken Sandwiches, Oreos and Be Merry


This whole I'm not eating at this place or that place or purchasing this or that because they don't have the same opinion on an issue that I do is getting ridiculous. There are so many mean comments and name calling. It's getting out of hand.

People have different opinions. 
That's life. 
It's time to realize that.

I've been thinking a lot these past few days about this.
I've never been much into politics or had a real firm stance on many political/social issues, but there are a couple things that my opinion will not waver in. And I thought, if a company didn't have the same opinion as me, would I stop purchasing their product? The answer I came up with: No, absolutely not. 

First of all, my faith in God is something that won't change. But I also know that, unfortunately, people don't believe in Him. Do I support a company run by atheists? I know I do. I don't know which companies exactly, but I know they're out there. 

What about abortion? I'm pro-life without a doubt. Do I support companies who support Planned Parenthood? Absolutely, yes. I found this list online. Let's see here...these are some companies I use that support Planned Parenthood:

Adobe: I use Photoshop and InDesign on a weekly basis. Those are some of the best products and I can't imagine finding something better. 

AT&T: I use their phone/internet services. They keep me connected... some of the time. *evil glare*

Levi Strauss: The only jeans that will fit this short, more-to-love, curvy body of mine.

Starbucks: I've recently fell in love with their peaches & creme muffins and I'm currently sipping on an iced non-fat caramel macchiato. 

I know you know I'm referring to the recent controversary with Oreo and Chick-Fil-A. These people aren't plastering signs all over their restaurants or products declaring their opinion, they aren't firing people because of their opinions and they definitely aren't injecting some sort of pro/anti-gay marriage hormones into their products. 

Why would you let someone's opinion stop you from having or doing something you like? If everyone stopped purchasing from businesses who have different opinions than you, then most, if not all, companies would be out of business.

Who's to decide what is right and what is wrong? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Why can't people just leave it at that?

I don't eat at Chick-Fil-A. You know why? I don't care for it. I like the waffle fries, but that's about it. And they have a new peach milkshake which I think I need to try ASAP. And do you know why I steer clear of Oreos? Not because I don't absolutely love them (because I do), but because chocolate and cream don't agree much with me. It has nothing to do with their stance on major issues in this country. My goodness, they are chicken sandwiches and cream filled cookies, for cryin' out loud!

Generally I stay away from controversial topics because they always get so much hateful backlash, but this one has been heavy on my heart and I just needed to get it out in writing. I'm not writing this to hurt anyone or have anyone get upset with me. I know people are going to disagree with me. And I have people whom I love who feel strongly one way or the other on these kinds of issues. Just keep in mind how great it is to live in a society where people can believe what they want (or at least that's what it's supposed to be), and don't be so narrow-minded that you aren't willing to listen to the other person's side of things. 

1 comment: