Friday, October 5, 2012

Throwback Thursday (on Friday): High school dances

... Or Friday.
A day late, but no one cares right? I started it yesterday! Oh well. It's my blog, I can do what I want!
I tried so hard to find my very first high school dance picture, but I don't have any idea where it is! I remember that I decided to like two days before. The Thursday or Friday before, I went with my mom, Valarie and her mom to Visalia (30 min away from Porterville) to look for a dress. I was lucky to find one. I had fun with my friends... I just wish I could find pictures to have proof!


Luau 2001 (or 2002) --
Since this picture doesn't have a date on it, I'm guessing. I'm thinking this was my first Luau at school. I didn't care much for the Luaus because it was hot, outside, people dressed in swimwear (bikinis) and there was a lot of rap. Here we are at Pizza Factory!... or maybe Round Table. I don't remember if Pizza Factory was there that long ago.

Me, Melissa and Valarie

Hearts & Flowers 2002 --
My first dance with a boy! Well, just Michael. Haha A very good friend of mine! Hearts and Flowers was basically Sadie Hawkins... you know, girls ask guys. If I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure he knew I was going to ask him before I actually did.
Mike and me

Hearts & Flowers 2003 --
Just a date with some good gal friends! We're all married now!
Me, Loretta & Emily
Luau 2003 --


Valarie and me
Christmas Ball 2003 --

Mine and Sam's first dance together! (We're married now in case you don't know) ... We weren't dating or anything here. We were just really great friends. He was homeschooled, so he didn't go to my school. I remember how much work it is to get someone into a dance who doesn't go to the same school. I think I had to get his ID card, prove that he wasn't 21 yet and get everything approved before I could even buy tickets. It was like a two-week process.

Sam and me

Hearts & Flowers 2004

Valarie and I decided to go matching! Well, opposite matching. I actually came across that Dickies dress not too long ago. I ended up selling it in a yard sale. We met up with a huge group of people.
Valarie and me
From the "second row" on the left to back and wrapped around to the front:
Sharon, Kristi, Paige, Tiffany, Melissa,  me, Valarie and Mark
                                           
Josh and me

Leah and me

Prom 2004 --

First dance Sam and I attended where we actually "liked" each other. Not dating, per say. We waited a year to date. All in God's timing. But... that's another story for another time. This was the year that we went to In&Out for dinner! Fancy, no?!

Sam and Me

 Group Picture: Leah & Josh, Valarie & Mark, Sam & Me

At Josh's house. 

Christmas Ball 2004 (My senior year) --

Sam and I still weren't dating here! I just loved the color and simplicity of that dress. I remember after the dance, we went back to Valarie's house and watched Shrek. Oh yeah, and Sam had dreadlocks. Oi vey. 





SENIOR PROM! --

Fourth dance together, first of being an actual couple. And Sam still has his dreadlocks. They're not as pretty as they were the dance before. And the professional photographer was not that great. Even though I scanned in the copy of the picture so that kind of  messes it up, it really doesn't change the quality much. I was super disappointed.

Valarie & Matt, Sam & me


I believe I was already in college in the pictures below. That year, instead of going to the actual dance, some of the older high schoolers decided it would be fun to have dinner, go to the movies and then bowling dressed up all fancy. 

We started the evening off with like a four-course meal. Then we went and saw Deck the Halls... horrible movie by the way! And we ended the evening with some bowling. That was so much fun!




I had so much fun looking through all these pictures. I can't believe how many school dances I attended. Many of us are married, going to school, graduated from college, living in another state, working and just living life. As much as disliked actually going to the dance, it was so fun to get all dressed up, hang out with friends and make some great memories. I can't believe how far we have all come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment