Monday, April 4, 2011

Day 91: 365 Project

The Anniversary of
The Proposal! 


This past weekend marked a year since Sam proposed to me! I can't believe it's been that long! Along with some engagement-related photo, I'm going to write out my proposal story. I realized that I never actually did it.

Well it was the night after the Rock and Worship Roadshow. I had two friends spend the night at my apartment and the next morning, Sam and I had plans to go to Pismo for the day and then Porterville for the rest of the weekend. It was nearing the end of Easter break, we had a party on Saturday and then Easter and church on Sunday. It would be a weekend filled with fun! Little did I know that along with seeing those closest to me in Porterville that weekend, I would get to share something new and sparkly with them as well as a wonderfully perfect story. In case you haven't heard the story, sit back and enjoy!

After waking up on that April morning, we all went out to breakfast at Yosemite Falls before my friends left for Porterville. After breakfast, Sam and I went back to our Apartments and gathered together the things we would need for the weekend. After packing up the car, we then proceeded to look for Sam's keys for the next hour or so. We seriously looked everywhere! And where were they? Underneath something in the car. Figures.

We were then on our way to Pismo! It was a beautiful day! We get there and do the usual thing -- Splash Cafe, walking around the pier, going down to the beach, shopping. Then we went to the Great American Melodrama. It was so much fun! They're always hilarious. It was such a fun and perfect day. Looking back at the Melodrama, Sam was most clumsy than usual... kept dropping random things and seemed distracted.

... even the ride home was weird. He accidentally took the wrong way... again, just seemed really distracted. And it just got weirder from then.

We got to my mom's house in Porterville probably close to 2 a.m. and my mom hears us and comes out the door. I thought it was weird that she was still fully awake and up. Usually she's asleep on the couch and has the TV on when we get to Porterville at midnight. But anyway, I got inside to say hi and then planned to unpack everything else with Sam.

My mom immediately wants to show me her bedroom bathroom because she's getting it redone with a new shower. I go with my mom to the bathroom and look at what's been done. I take a glance around and am ready to go help Sam unload. My mom keeps stalling me though. And I'm like "Mom! Sam's going to get mad because I left him with all the unloading." But she starts asking me questions...

"What do you think?" Looks good, mom! It needed to be redone!

"What color should I paint the walls?" Green! That's my default color. I don't know! 
I need to know now because I have to go to Home Depot early tomorrow morning. Well, I'll go with you then! I'm tired and it's late and I need to help Sam.

"What kind of sink should I get?" I don't the different kinds of sinks!

"What kind of tile flooring would look good in here?" ... Again, I don't know! I need to go help Sam...


I was beginning to think she thought I was some sort of Bathroom decorator. Did she not hear me when I said I was going to be a journalism major at Fresno State?


The actual new shower wasn't put in yet, so she wanted to show me that next. Then she started asking me about getting a digital camera and what kind she should get. Now, this is stuff I know about, but still not sure why she needed to know about this information at two in the morning! At this point, a proposal had crossed my mind, but taking into account the hour, I figured he wasn't going to do it.

The proposal idea crossed my mind because a couple weeks before Sam had went to Porterville for one reason or another and he wouldn't let me go with him! He said he wanted it to be a quick trip. I had a feeling he was going to talk to my mom about marrying. Turns out I ended up being right!

Anyway... back to the story. Then my mom's phone rings. She said it was Stacie telling her that she's spending the night at a friends house. My thought? Why is Stacie just now calling my mom? Later I'll find out it was Sam telling me that he's ready for me. After my mom gets off the phone, she says she thinks she hears Sam calling me from the Kitchen. I open the kitchen sliding door to a couple dozen candles glowing in the darkened room. And I see Sam standing there in a suit. I close the door and stand still. A million different thoughts running through my mind. One sticking out in particular, "is this really happening?" Every time I think of this moment, it still gives me butterflies and my heart skips a beat. I don't move until Sam says, "come over here."

So I do. It felt like I was walking over there slowly, but Sam says I walked over there quickly. He hugs me. I would say "we hugged," but I'm pretty sure that my robotic-like "hug" motions couldn't be considered a hug. I'm pretty sure I was having some sort of out of body experience. I was in complete shock and disbelief.

He picked up this rose ring holder and opened it. Sure enough, there sat a ring -- with diamonds! He then said several sweet-filled romantic things that I can't remember. I was living in the moment and I wish I could remember what he said! Then he asked me to marry him and I (obviously) said yes! And he put the ring on me (He liked it so he put a ring on it) and then we kissed (yup! Our first kiss in the five years we'd dated).

It was perfect... and it got better.
Sam goes to knock on the the garage door and says "You guys can come in."
Two giggly voices say, "Are you sure?!"
And in walk Sharon and Lisa (two of my wonderful friends, in case you didn't know.)

They were Sam's handy helpers who set up all the candles while we were on our way home from Pismo! Sneaky!

I was scared and excited and nervous after that. We celebrated with some apple cider. I called some friends. Pretty sure I got like two hours of sleep that night. The picture above is of my rings and some of the candles from that night. We still have all the candles in a box and the rose that Sam had the rose in is sitting on our dresser.

Seriously a wonderful day! It's a story I enjoy telling to people! If you made it through the entire blog, congratulations! Hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I did writing it!

1 comment:

  1. Loved the story! Your experience is so similar to mine in that I do not remember the romantic things Cody said either, and I also felt very in shock and acted kind of robotically because I just couldn't believe what was happening! But very romantic and sweet and amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete