Monday, September 27, 2010

Dating vs. Marriage: School edition

This past weekend, Sam and I visited our families in Porterville. It was the first time we'd been back since we returned from our honeymoon.

Sunday morning, I went to the church that Sam (well, when he's in town) and his family attend regularly. Since Sam was playing bass there, I went over to the church that I normally attend, sans the husband.

I got there a little early. Saw a lady that I haven't seen in a while and started talking with her. We were talking about my recent marriage and school. She says, "Isn't it so much easier being married while being in school than it is dating?"

I couldn't agree with her more.Granted, I've only been married a little under two months.

This got me thinking about how many different thoughts and experiences there are on this.

For some reason, I had always thought you were supposed to graduate college, then get married. It wasn't until I was talking with a friend of mine a few years back, that it actually hit me that it was okay to get married while still being in college. She was telling me that her and her husband got married while still in school and things turned out well for them. If I'm being completely honest, I never even really thought about getting married until I was done with school.

Back in April, when Sam proposed, I remember a few reactions from some were a little off.
"So, are you quitting school then?"

Um. No. What kind of a reaction is that to "I'm getting married!" Why would I quit school because I was getting married, especially since I only had one semester left?

Just another interesting thought on the whole being married while still in school.

The best part is that there's no more:
"I need to get going because I have homework to do."
I can still be with Sam at home and do my homework. It's really rather great!

So, as long as there's no babies, I'm pro being married and going to school.

3 comments:

  1. Amen!
    I remember eavesdropping on (er, overhearing) those "I need to get going" conversations... I am happy his home is your home and vice versa! :D

    ReplyDelete