Monday, September 6, 2010

The art of making new friends and other stuff too

Oh for three (0/3)

Last night, I went with a few ladies to dinner. I was told we were going to go to Samurai Sam's for dinner. So I drive over there, running a bit late, and receive a text message from Naomi saying they're closed. We try another teriyaki place. Turns out they were closed down. So we decide to try yet another teriyaki place on Willow/Herndon and they were closed too.

Not a good night for teriyaki joints.

We decide to go to Sequoia Sandwich Company because it was right there. I was excited because I've heard nothing but great things about them. I got the French Dip, which was awesome. That's my default sandwich.

Afterward, we went back to Naomi's house to hang out. The guys from the college group had also gone out to dinner, so they met us there too.

We just talked and then we played a game. It was a lot of fun. There were probably 10 people there. They are an amazingly fun group of people.

It reminded me of when I first moved to Fresno two years ago. I didn't really know anyone. Sam was here, and I knew both my roommates because they were both from Porterville. Sam and I wanted to find a church right away to get connected with some people. We knew a family who were attending Clovis Evangelical Free Church so that's where we started to go and that's where we've stayed. There we have made some great friends.

At school, I didn't even make friends until a year ago.

It's like, how did I make friends when I was a kid? It's so incredibly hard, especially when you move to a completely different place. I was always in the same town with the same people. Most of the time, I at least knew a few people, but how do you make friends when you don't have any connections to anyone? It's not something I ever thought about until I moved.

When does a friendship go from hanging out where you met (school, church, etc) to actually hanging out other places? I've often wondered this in the last couple of years with all the friends I've made.

It's just a weird thought. Glad I've gained a ton of new friends here in Fresno because now this town is actually starting to feel like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment