Friday, November 5, 2010

For the love of music

Peanuts and records = my favorite

I, alone, own probably about 300 CDs. Since I married Sam, I've probably acquired an extra 200 or so CDs.

These little round discs are becoming rapidly more unpopular as time goes on. It seems now that most people would rather use iTunes to download the latest album from their favorite artist.

As for me, I love the CD.
And more recently, in the last four or five years, I've begun to love vinyl records, and now I own probably over 100 albums. They're all kinds of wonderful.

I just love having something tangible. One of my favorite parts about buying a new CD is tearing through the plastic, taking off the sticker with artist's name and album title, (usually sticking it somewhere random) and then looking through the booklet inside. I love seeing the art, the lyrics and just anything else the band put together to create this CD.

As for vinyl, it's not so much that I buy new artist's records. I love looking for old vinyl, you know, when that's all there was. I thoroughly enjoy digging through piles upon piles of dusty records to see what I can find. Whether it's a record I find that I want to buy, or a record that just has an over-the-top crazy picture on the front, I love it all. Nothing compares to it.

As for me, I've always been "behind the times" when it comes to music. In the last year, I've just gotten a iPod. That was a gift too. I'm still convinced that the old classics (Beach Boys, Beatles, CCR, Frank Sinatra, the Kinks, the Who, Simon & Garfunkel, Huey Lewis & the News, etc) are the best music around. No beating it. And, I don't know. I don't ever think that I'll transition from my beloved CDs/vinyls to digital. Sorry, iTunes.

What do you think? Anyone else with me on this??

1 comment:

  1. I've never had an iPod nor do I ever plan on owning one. Though I do love the convenience of iTunes/Amazon simply because sometimes you don't want the whole CD. Though on the other hand buying the whole CD can help you discover other music/songs. So it's all give and take I guess. But believe me, if I had the money to support my crazed CD/DVD buying habit I would. Either way, if I purchase digital music I usually burn it to a CD later. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete