Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Looking toward the future and it's a dark abyss

Less than two months left of my undergraduate career and while I'm thrilled for it to be over, I must say, I'm scared out of my mind.

I have no idea what I want to do with the rest of my life. I feel like I haven't done enough in my life to know what I want to do.

While I loved working in a newspaper atmosphere, I don't really see myself headed in that direction. I loved working and writing for The Collegian, but I don't see it being something that I want to do with the rest of my life.

Now, I'm not saying that I made a mistake in picking print journalism as my major, because I didn't. I had a blast, met a ton of amazing people and learned a lot. I know I'm a better writer and a better person because of it all. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

To make matters worse, I am constantly discouraged in one of my classes because the professor is consistently saying how important it is to have an internship under your belt. I agree with this, but she makes me feel like since I don't have an internship to put on my resume, I'm not going to get anywhere for a long time. I was so close to having an internship too, but since the person I would be working for lost her job because of budget cuts, I lost my internship. Since I was only at Fresno State for two years (I was a transfer student), and working at The Collegian for one of those years, this was really the only semester that I could have done an internship. I was excited about the internship I almost had too. Working for the communications department at Community Medical Centers. It would have given me the chance to do something I haven't done before. I guess it wasn't meant to be though.

So basically right now, I'm just trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do and where I'm supposed to be. I'm considering more and more graduate school in the next couple years, so we'll see where that takes me.

I think I just really want to experience more. I've applied for some jobs that I'm hoping to hear back from soon.

Target and Best Buy.
PicturePeople: Figured this would be fun since one of my passions is photography.
Photojojo: Granted, this would require internet connection and a comfortable seat since it's customer service related, but I thought it could be fun and teach me a lot.

Right now, I'm hoping for the best and waiting to see where God leads me.

2 comments:

  1. you will do great whatever you end up doing. :)*hugs* Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh How well I remember those feelings!! When I graduated I thought, For the last 22 years I have been a student, I dont know the slightest thing about being an real adult!! I have no idea what I want to do with my life (I even had an internship... you dont NEED one!). I had a picture of what I thought my life 'should' look like. I am happy to say, it is nothing like that now. I am learning (probably the hard way) that life is about seeking God and enjoying the journey.
    Trust that He will direct your steps and enjoy it!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete